Jhusi

From Indpaedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Hindi English French German Italian Portuguese Russian Spanish

This article has been extracted from

THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.

OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.

Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts. Some units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.


Jhusi

Town in the Phulpur tahsil of Allahabad District, United Provinces, situated in 25 degree 26' N. and 81° 54' E., on the Ganges, oppo- site its junction with the Jumna. Population (1901), 3,342. Jhusi has been identified with the Pratisthan or Kesi of the Puranic histories, which was the residence of Pururavas, first king of the Lunar dynasty and son of the moon. It was at one time called Harbongpur after the Raja Harbong, of whose vagaries and misrule many fables are told. In the time of Akbar the town was known as Hadiabas. It has recently been suggested that JhusI was the Kia-shi-pu-lo visited by Hiuen Tsiang. Two great mounds, once the site of forts, are the only visible remains ; but gold coins of the Gupta kings, and a copperplate of Trilochana Pala, dated in a.d. 1027, have been discovered here 1 . Jhusi is administered under Act XX of 1856, with an income of about Rs. 500. There is a small school with 30 pupils.

Personal tools
Namespaces

Variants
Actions
Navigation
Toolbox
Translate