Bargarh
This article has been extracted from THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908. OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS. |
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts.Many units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
Bargarh
Western tahsil of Sambalpur District, Bengal, lying between 20° 45' and 21° 44' N. and 82° 38' and 83° 54' E., with an area, in 1901, of 3,126 square miles. The population in that year was 467,076, compared with 452,022 in 1891. In 1905 the Phuljhar zamindari, with an area of 842 square miles and a population of 102,135 persons, was transferred to the Raipur District of the Central Provinces, and the adjusted figures of area and population of the tahsil are 2,284 square miles and 364,941 persons. The density is 160 persons per square mile. The tahsil contains 1,172 inhabited villages. Bargarh, the head-quarters, is a village of 3,609 inhabitants, 29 miles distant from Sambalpur town on the Raipur road. Excluding 206 square miles of Government forest, 69 per cent, of the available area is occupied for cultivation. The cultivated area in 1903-4 was 1,403 square miles.
The demand for land revenue in the same year was Rs. 1,06,000, and for cesses Rs. 21,000. The tahsil comprises an open tract along the right bank of the Mahanadi, flanked by hill and forest country to the west and north. It contains nine zam'indari estates, with a total area of 1,204 square miles.