Jhansi City

From Indpaedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Hindi English French German Italian Portuguese Russian Spanish

This article has been extracted from

THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.

OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.

Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts. Some units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.

Jhansi City

Administrative head-quarters of the District and tahsil of the same name, with cantonment, in the United Provinces, situated in 25 degree 27’ N. and 78 degree 35' E., on the road from Cawnpore to Saugor, and on the Great Indian Peninsula Railway; 799 miles by rail from Calcutta, and 702 from Bombay. Under Native rule the population of Jhansi was about 30,000 in 1872 and 33,000 in 1881. After its cession in 1886, population rose to 53,779 in 1891 and 55,724 in 1 90 1. Hindus numbered 41,029 in 1901 and Musalmans 11,983, while there were about 2,000 Christians. The population in municipal limits was 47,881 and in cantonments 7,843.

Jhansi city, which is sometimes known as Balwantnagar, owes its foundation to Bir Singh Deo, Raja of Orchha, who built a fort here in 1 613. A town sprang up and remained in the possession of the Bundelas till 1742, when it was seized by the Marathas, who had already acquired property in the neighbourhood under the will of Chhatarsal. They added to the fort, and the town continued to be the seat of a governor. The rapid growth of Jhansi during this period was partly due to the forcible removal of people from other places. It was subsequently held for a few months by Shuja-ud-daula, Nawib of Oudh, and was wrested from him by Aniip Giri Gosain of Moth, from whom it passed to the Raja of Orchha, and in 1766 was again brought under Maratha rule. The British acquired sovereign rights from the Peshwa in 181 7; and in 1853 the State of Jhansi lapsed in default of heirs, when the city became the head-quarters of a Superintendent subordinate to the Commissioner of the Saugor and Nerbudda Territories. The Mutiny history has been given in that of Jhansi District. In 1861 the city, with a large tract adjoining it, was ceded to Sindhia ; and the head-quarters of the District, called Jhansi Naoabad ('newly-founded'), included only a small village, with the civil station and cantonment. Jhansi then became the head- quarters of a Subah of the Gwalior State, but in 1886 it was restored to the British in exchange for the Gwalior fort and Morar cantonment.


Jhansi is picturesquely situated round the fort, which crowns a rocky hill. It is a walled city, but has lately been opened up by roads, and a spacious, handsome market-place, called Hardyganj after a recent District officer, has been constructed. An excellent water-supply is obtained from five large wells sunk in the rock towards the close of the eighteenth century. Besides the ordinary courts there are few public buildings, the finest being a hospital built a few years ago. There are many small temples, but none of striking appearance, and part of the old palace of the Raja is occupied by the police station and a school. Jhansi is the head-quarters of a Superintending and of an Executive Engineer in the Irrigation branch, and of an Executive Engineer in the Roads and Buildings branch. It is also the chief station of the Church Missionary Society and the American Presbyterian Mission in the District.

A municipality was constituted in 1886. During the ten years ending 1901 the income and expenditure averaged Rs. 48,000 and Rs. 47,000 respectively. In 1903-4 the income was Rs. 73,000, chiefly from octroi (Rs. 56,000) ; and the expenditure was Rs. 68,000, including conservancy (Rs. 19,000), public safety (Rs. 12,000), administration and collection (Rs. 10,000), and roads and buildings (Rs. 4,000). The income and expenditure of cantonment funds "during the ten years ending 1901 averaged Rs. 17,000, and in 1903-4 were Rs. 24,000 and Rs. 21,000 respectively. The usual garrison includes British and Native infantry, Native cavalry, and artillery. Jhansi is the chief centre in the District for the collection and distribution of agricultural products. Its trade has improved greatly with the extension of railways, which radiate from it in four different directions. There are also small manu- factures of brass-ware, fine silk, and coarse rugs. The railway work- shops employed over 2,000 hands in 1 903, and a small cotton gin and ice factory are situated here. A private firm supplies hay pressed at Jhansi to the military authorities in many parts of the Eastern Command. The municipality maintains three schools and aids twelve others, with a total attendance of 994, besides the District school, which has about 160 pupils.

Personal tools
Namespaces

Variants
Actions
Navigation
Toolbox
Translate