Lyallpur District, 1908
This article has been extracted from THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908. OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS. |
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts. Some units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
Lyallpur District
A new District in the Multan Division of the Punjab, lying between 30° 50' and 31° 45' N. and 72° 20' and 73° 31' E., with an area of 3,075 miles.
The District was constituted on December i, 1904, mainly of villages transferred from Jhang, with the addition of a certain number from Montgomery. It comprises most of the high table-land between the Chenab and Ravi rivers, and is now irrigated by the Lower Chenab L'anal. On the north it is bounded by the northernmost or Jhang branch of the canal, and is sei)arated from the Chenab riverain by a strip of Colony land which has remained attached to Jhang District. On the north-east it is bounded by Gujranwala and Lahore; on the south-east by Montgomery ; on the south-west by Multan ; and on the west by Jhang.
The District contains a few proprietary villages near the Ravi in the south and on llic J hang border ; the rest consists of the villages built on crown waste and colonized by Government. The climate is very hot in the hot season, and the rainfall is very small : io-86 inches fell at Lyallpur in 1905-6.
The following table shows the area and population of Lyallpur District, according to the most recent returns : —
The figures for population are taken from a local Census held on September 29, 1906. Land revenue and cesses amounted in 1905-6 to 17-3 lakhs. Land tenures are dealt with in the article on the Chenab Colony.
The District is traversed by the WazTrabad-Khanewal section of the North-Western Railway. There are at present three metalled roads in existence — from Lyallpur to Rodu Koru, from Lyallpur to Satiana, and from Chiniot Road to Pauliani — 56 miles in all.
The District is in charge of a Deputy-Commissioner, aided by three Assistant or Extra-Assistant Commissioners, of whom one is in charge of the District treasury. The greater part of the revenue administration is in the hands of the Colonization Officer^, who has a special staff to assist him and is independent of the Deputy-Commissioner. The District is divided into three tahs'ih, each in charge of a Tahsilddr assisted by a iiaib-tahsildd7\ Five Executive Engineers of the Lower Chenab Canal have their head-quarters at Lyallpur town. {See articles on Chenab Colony and Jhang District.)
[L. H. Leslie Jones, Chenab Colony Gazetteer (1904).]