Sandila Town
This article has been extracted from THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908. OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS. |
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts. Some units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
Sandila Town
Head-quarters of the tahsil of the same name, Hardoi District, United Provinces, situated in 2 7 4' N, and 80 30' E., on the Oudh and Rohilkhand Railway. Population (1901), 16,843. The town is said to have been founded by Arakhs, who were ex- pelled towaids the end of the fourteenth century by the Musalmans, It was visited by Firoz Shah Tughlak, who built a mosque, now in ruins. Other mosques are of later date; and a remarkable building called the Bara Khambha or ' twelve pillars, ' which contains a tomb, was erected in Akbar's reign. Sandila possesses male and female hospitals and a town hall, besides the usual offices. It has been admin- istered as a municipality since 1868.
During the ten years ending 1901 the income and expenditure averaged Rs. n,ooo. In 1903-4 the income was Rs. 12,000, chiefly from octroi (Rs, 8,000); and the expenditure was Rs. 14,000. A market is held twice a week, and there is a large export trade in firewood to Lucknow. The town also exports pan> ghl, and sweetmeats. Manufactures include art pottery, cotton curtains, and tablecloths which bear artistic designs in large checks. There are three schools for boys and two for girls, with a total of 430 pupils, and the American Methodist Mission has a branch here.